Thursday, 28 July 2011
Tuesday, 26 July 2011
Mark's made more progress on this beast:
'The head has undergone some big changes from last time. The horns have been improved (they're now about 1.5 inches long!) and a second set will be made and fitted just in front of the point where the lower jaw attaches. The jaw itself has been bulked out and textured, needing only a little more chin fur and the odd patch here and there to be finished.The fur on the back will be run up onto the head, which will blend the lower jaw and head into the original model much more smoothly.
The weapon is more glaive than spear, the blade will be reshaped after it's bulked to give a warpstone effect, and a spiked counterweight will go on the other end. I'm planning to attach some chain to the weight that loops down and over the hand, clipping onto the wristband.'
As ever, click the image for a larger view.
Thursday, 21 July 2011
So I've worked a bit more on the Finecast Captain Stern. I actually got through no less than 3 replacements being sent out to me (which if you count the rejected models at the store makes 9!) before I gave up on getting a decent mini. I eventually got a refund which I spent on a Finecast Emperor's Champion which is OK. Not superb, as there are a couple of tiny bubbles and the sword was a pain to straighten. Finecast is certainly a hit and miss range, in my opinion. I'll stand by the points made in my original review. In the not-too-distant future, I'll post up the Champion as it's being done for a commission.
The model above is the review model. A zenithal airbrush job on the armour (from black / VMC Gunmetal to Vallejo Model Air Silver), shaded with black and blue washes and then highlighted with pure VMA Silver. The blade is half-masked and airbrushed over white with GW hawk turquoise and then VMC black. To speed the process I thinned with Tamiya thinner rather than water.
As ever, you can click the image for a larger view.
More progress on this commission, with the Apothecary (Sanguinary Novitiate) now complete. I'm fairly pleased with this- in particular the differing feels of the high-gloss next to the flat white for the armour. Next up will be another spear and shield marine. As ever, you can click the image for a larger view.
I have made a start on the Alpharius job. First off I am really liking John's resin kit, so hats off to him! There is still a lot of work to be done on him but I thought I would show him in his early stages. I scavenged the bolter of my limited edition Forgeworld open day Boarding Marine, removing it's under-slung melta. I have ordered a Forgeworld back pack from one of the pre heresy kits for this guy as I thought a normal plastic one would look out of place.
Thursday, 14 July 2011
John converted up this Master of the Forge for a custom paint job which I (Maz) will do. The bulk of the model is based on a selection of simple resin parts that John cast himself to act as blanks for building detail on, with the servo pack and various other pieces coming from GW techmarines and a plastic Marine arm. The specification agreed with the client was to bulk up the miniature so it can act as a centrepiece, while keeping details close to the illustration in Codex: Space Marines.
Click on the image for a larger view.
More progress on Mark's custom Vermin Lord.
'The jaws are beginning to take shape now. The lower jaw will be removable to allow easier painting, so I'm taking care to fit it to the head in a way that hides any joins. A lot of the back fur is now sorted out, Which will allow me to work the fur onto the head and finalise all the details around the face. One of the horns still needs a little work, as the ridges aren't finished up, but The shape of the whole assembly can be seen.
He's certainly a dominating model, and the design of his spear (in the hand that's not attached) will have to reflect the hulking brute that he is!'
As ever, you can click either of the images for a larger view.
Wednesday, 13 July 2011
First of the honour guard pretty much finished. I've dropped the spearhead back to a black granite material, as it makes for a nice point of contrast. Gloss on the candy coat seems to have worked well, although it's the devil itself to take a good photo of. I may go back to add text to the reverse side of the purity seal ribbons on the spear, as they cross over a few times.
The first test model in the honour guard, nearly done. Each shield will have unique heraldry on it. The armour will be brought up with a high gloss finish to complete the candy-coat effect (which should also make the contrast a bit higher). Click the image for a larger view.
Wednesday, 6 July 2011
Conversion work on this squad is pretty much done. Fairly pleased with how these have come out. Later tonight I'll put the basing material on, ready for priming and the first licks of paint tomorrow. As ever, click the image for a larger view.
Tuesday, 5 July 2011
Here is a private commission of mine, which I thought I'd show off here. It is a heavily converted Leman Russ (Primarch of the Space Wolves) based on the Inquisitor scale Artemis miniature.
You can see him WIP here.
Click Images to enlarge:
You can see him WIP here.
Click Images to enlarge: